Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:54:33 +0200

Jan Djärv skrev:
Deniz Dogan skrev:
Using the latest CVS checkout, I think I have been able to more
precisely point out what is going wrong on my computer with XMonad and
Emacs. All of the following instructions happen without anything in
.Xdefaults (.Xresources doesn't exist).

I start Emacs like one normally does, with .emacs removing fringes,
the scrollbar, the menubar and the toolbar. This comes up:
http://pici.se/pictures/pXCGsmQpd.png

Then I modify ~/.emacs, commenting out any removal of fringes, etc.
http://pici.se/pictures/avxrLUQYn.png

It should be pretty clear looking at the pictures that the "offset" in
the first picture is caused from not "updating" the sizes or whatever
after having evaluated ~/.emacs. How do I force this?

Emacs relies on the window manager/X server to send ConfigureNotify events when the size changes. Somehow it is missing some events or events are not being sent. The way to force it is to resize the frame a bit. Does this happen if you start Emacs normally and then by invoking the proper commands by hand, remove toolbar and so on?

Never mind, I found the error. Emacs kind of assumes the window manager will eventually honor a resize request Emacs does. XMonad breaks this assumtion.
Try it now.

        Jan D.