Re: invisible mouse pointer?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: invisible mouse pointer?
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 21:25:41 +0200

Eli Zaretskii skrev:
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 18:14:43 +0200
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Dj=E4rv?= <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden

Why are we doing this in C, rather than adding the invisible-pointer
option to avoid.el?

Because it uses a timer. The alternative to use a timer is to track mouse which is heavy in lisp.

But avoid.el already does all this, and works just fine.

It only does it if you enable it.

There is no need to add more CPU-consuming thing to Emacs, it already does far too many task over and over again, which isn't really needed.

Emacs Lisp timers don't consume any CPU cycles.

avoid.el checks point 10 times per second. Try doing that without using CPU cycles. avoid.el even says itself at the top:

";; Bugs / Warnings / To-Do:
;;
;; - Using this code does slow Emacs down.  "banish" mode shouldn't
;;   be too bad, and on my workstation even "animate" is reasonable.
"

        Jan D.