Re: How Firefox shows characters missing in font

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: How Firefox shows characters missing in font
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 19:04:26 +0200

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Jason Rumney<address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>>
>> We discussed how to show characters missing in a font a while ago.
>> Here is an example of how Firefox handles it. It shows four hex digits
>> in a square.
>>

> What does it do when it needs six hex digits? It doesn't look like there is
> room for any more in there.

It doesn't do anything. I includes only BMP (with private area) which
if I understand it correctly only is 0000 - ffff.

But I know nothing about this. Which other pars are most important? On
wikipedia I see they divide it in 8 ranges (with one big unassigned
range). It looks like this could perhaps be handled in some way by for
example colors.