Re: How Firefox shows characters missing in font

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: How Firefox shows characters missing in font
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 20:30:30 +0100

It doesn't do anything. I includes only BMP (with private area) which
if I understand it correctly only is 0000 - ffff.

the sil font in particular, yeah.

But I know nothing about this. Which other pars are most important? On
wikipedia I see they divide it in 8 ranges (with one big unassigned
range). It looks like this could perhaps be handled in some way by for
example colors.

Shrug, or just use six hexdigits when there's room (only try for 6 for for chars outside the BMP, users can guess that if there's only 4, it's from the BMP, and for that matter perhaps if there's only 2 it's from the 8-bit range...)

You only need 3x5 pixels for quite legible hex, and IMO you can kinda make out stylised 3x4 too, at least in context. Subpixel rendering might help in some cases. And anyway, anyone really interested can ask emacs to describe the character, hex helps show
there are missing glyphs and that they're distinct - a row of
empty boxes could just be some missing line drawing glyphs, a row
of distinct hex-filled boxes is probably foreign script.

Cramming in 6 hex digits as 2x3 will be possible in a lot of cases on modern displays I reckon - anyone using a font size working out bigger than 10x20 pixels or so (as attached for 3x4 stylised hexdigits).

PNG image