Re: How Firefox shows characters missing in font

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: How Firefox shows characters missing in font
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 20:52:12 +0100

Lennart Borgman wrote:

Would not that be much more work when using the existing "SIL Unicode
BMP Fallback Font"?

Well, that depends. I was thinking of the "emacs draws the hexdigits in the boxes itself" case - Only need to come up with 16 tiny glyphs a few times, once you go beyond 6x8 or maybe 8x10 of pixel space available per hexdigit it probably makes some sense to just use an ordinary font rendering call for each hexdigit, and below 3x4 you really only could put in vague indicative dots/blobs anyway.

Mind you, I guess using the SIL Unicode BMP fallback font gives you subpixel rendering of the hexdigits for free. But of course it's only done for the BMP.