Re: & and M-& to run programs asynchronously

From: Fernando
Subject: Re: & and M-& to run programs asynchronously
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 21:42:09 +0200

Hello.
I don't know if it's worth to open a new thread, but as this one is
related I'll like to report some problem I've had while testing the
new "&" command  (dired-do-async-shell-command).

If you use it to execute a command that opens a child process then it
will have no effect at all, the parent process will be finished and no
program will be executed. You can reproduce this if you execute &
xdg-open (freedesktop command for opening a file).

dired-do-shell-command does work when you use it to execute xdg-open,
but it will run the program synchronously.

Would it be possible to fix this so that "&" waits for child processes
running asynchronously to finish?

--
Fernando