Re: Sending attachments

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 05:44:51 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> > And this is out of scope for mail-mode, which (AFAIK) does not support
>> > news.
>>
>> What exactly is the plan here?
>
> There is no plan (yet).  I was just trying to estimate the effort
> needed for adding simple attachment facility to mail-mode.  Plans, if
> there will be such, will come later.

So that would be the "let's add this one function now and
deal with the real problem later" answer, yes?

> I have no idea why you thought I was about to add ``leaky bandaids''.
> I didn't even say I'm going to write any code, let alone ``leaky''.
> And I don't think I ever added to Emacs such low-quality code that
> would justify you making such assumptions, should I decide to write
> some code.

I was not saying anything about your code (I wasn't even thinking you'd
write the code), and thus was making no assumptions about it.

The point was that real support for mime (as message-mode has today)
can't be done piecemeal, and that while adding "a little bit" of support
to mail-mode may be a _temporary_ fix for some people's perceived
problem, it isn't a good long-term solution -- and even in the
short-term it actually makes the duplication problem _worse_, so it
seems worth thinking about whether even that is actually desirable.

-Miles

--
Abstainer, n. A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a
pleasure. A total abstainer is one who abstains from everything but