Re: Sending attachments

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 13:54:03 +0900

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> Some random points that come to mind:
>
>   (1) We must still maintain message-mode as well, so mail-mode's
>       "simplicity" yields no obvious code maintenance Benefit.
>
>   (2) I've used both modes over the years, and from my viewpoint as a
>       user, both modes seem pretty much the same form a UI standpoint

Oh, also:

  (3) Having both modes present presents a user burden, especially
      because the default is mail-mode -- there are many cases where
      a new user may need the extra features (even if he doesn't
      realize this, e.g., if he is sending non-ASCII characters in a
      way that isn't handled properly by mail-mode), but will still
      be using the default settings.

      Not only must the documentation be written to consider this
      and guide users, but in many cases, the user won't look at the
      documentation, or won't look in the proper place, and so will
      simply decide that Emacs mail handling doesn't support the
      desired feature.  In the case non-ASCII character case
      mentioned above, he may not even _know_ that he needs to do
      anything or look at any documentation -- he'll just send
      incorrect mail.

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Education, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish
their lack of understanding.