Re: frame auto-unmaximized

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: frame auto-unmaximized
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 10:56:38 +0200

Stephen J. Turnbull skrev:
Sam Steingold writes:
 > On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Jan Djärv<address@hidden> wrote:
 > > Sam Steingold skrev:
 > >>
 > >> with the current cvs head under gnome:
 > >> emacs -q
 > >> click on the "maximize" button (upper right corner, 2nd from right).
 > >> the emacs frame is maximized.
 > >> C-M-<right> to go to the next workspace
 > >> C-M-<left> to go back to the emacs workspace
 > >> observe that the emacs frame is no longer maximized.
 > >> I hope this is not the intended behavior!
 > >>

 > > No, it sounds like a bug.  Are you using metacity or something else (compiz
 > > perhaps)?
> > metacity.

Metacity doesn't bother to remember that *it* maximized the app (the
app of course has no power to do so), and so happily fullfils a
request from the app to return to its natural size.  I forget the
details, but this is a particular behavior of metacity and KDE's
default WM; other WMs do remember that they've maximized the window
and refuse future requests unless they come from the user.

Indeed. Emacs did request to be unmaximized when switching desktops (that was the bug). There is some wording in the EMWH-spec about withdrawn windows. Apparently applications can reuse withdrawn windows for other purposes, so if the WM remembers the setting, it would be wrong. Not that I know of any application that reuses withdrawn windows for something else.

        Jan D.