Re: Recent recentf slowdown due to "/ftp:..."

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Recent recentf slowdown due to "/ftp:..."
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 15:04:53 +0200

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:06:38 +0200 Stephen Berman <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 17:53:47 +0200 Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
>>                                                         Which desktop
>> are you using (Gnome? KDE? Something different?)
>
> My regular desktop is KDE 4.2.4 (KDE 4.2.4) "release 2" and that's what
> I was using in all my previous reports on this problem (in addition, I
> use the gtk-qt engine from the rpm kcm_gtk-1.1-5.5).  This morning I
> logged on to Gnome after booting the machine and ran my test case, and
> here too I got the ~30s pause (actually closer to 27-8 seconds).  Then I
> logged out of Gnome, logged on to KDE, ran my test case, and did not get
> the pause.  Then I restarted the X server, logged on to KDE again, ran
> my test case and still got no pause.  So I conclude that the pause only
> happens with the first Emacs started after booting the machine.  (But I
> have not yet tried my test case with -nw.)

Today after booting the machine I logged on at a virtual tty instead of
starting an X desktop.  I ran my test and got no pause.  Then I logged
out, logged on to the desktop (KDE 4.2.4), ran my test and got the
pause.

>>                                                  Is GVFS running after
>> your login? Is GVFS running after the first Emacs start, including the
>> pause?

After the tty login GVFS was not running, but after the desktop login it was.

Steve Berman