Re: Sending attachments

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 09:49:43 -0400

> What I want to do is install Etach.  Specifically, the part of Etach
> that creates mime attachments.  This would provide the facility of
> sending attachments in Mail mode, but without any actual change to
> sendmail.el.

Since there is existing, actively-maintained code in Emacs for sending
attachments, it's incorrect to add yet another library for this.
Assuming the status quo, with mail-mode and message-mode separate,
adding mime functionality to mail-mode should involve calling this
existing code.

> message.el forces the loading of many other packages (I sent the list
> before).  So its effective complexity includes all of them.  It is
> tied in with Gnus, and can't be maintained on its own.

Message mode is actively maintained by the Gnus maintainers, so this
point is irrelevant.  And there is no other salient objection to message
mode, as far as I can tell.