Parsing of fontconfig font names and other font related stuff.

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Parsing of fontconfig font names and other font related stuff.
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 20:57:52 +0200

Hello.

I'm in the process of getting Emacs to use GConf defaults for font, antialiasing, hints and dpi.

The parser in Emacs does not accept "Monospace 8:dpi=96.0".
First float values for dpi is not accepted, even they are floats in fontconfig.
Secondly spaces before the size isn't accepted either, it is assumed to be in Gtk+-format when a space is there.

But fc-match do accept that type of font specification, as do all applications I tried that has xft. Admittedly, the docs (the user manual) seem to indicate that a '-' is required before the size.

Ideally I wouldn't like to put stuff like dpi in the font string, but instead have the appropriate backend use the GConf value if no other value is specified. Where would it be appropriate to insert that information? In the xft-backend or in Ffont-spec, or perhaps somewhere else?

Thanks,

        Jan D.