Re: C-x C-v considered harmful

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: C-x C-v considered harmful
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 03:32:46 +0300

> I thought we had moved forward from the question of `find-alternate-file' to
> the
> question of `kill-buffer'. If you agree, then please, let's phrase the
> discussion that way, going forward.
>
> The question, for each of the particular contexts you cite, is whether
> _`kill-buffer'_ should query/warn. How `kill-buffer' might be called
> is not the point.

I brought these examples to help deciding what a default list of buffers
should require a confirmation.  As Johan pointed out it is just a matter
of setting `kill-buffer-query-functions', e.g. in *shell* buffers.
But note that this can be annoying for users who like creating a lot
of shell buffers, so exiting from Emacs will ask a separate confirmation
for each of them.  (BTW, `C-x C-c' already asks a confirmation about
shell buffers.)

When doing this also please take care of not adding more confirmations
to existing ones.  For instance, currently `C-x C-v' on a modified
file buffer asks a confirmation twice (I think one confirmation
should be enough).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/