Re: Sending attachments

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 17:16:07 +0300

On 2009-07-08 22:41 (+0900), Miles Bader wrote:

> Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
>> always have a disposition of inline, and again not use description.
>
> Hmm, I think disposition=inline is often (usually?) wrong...
> My impression is that most people, when they attach something, want it
> attached as a separate downloadable thingie.

It's very useful to have a choice. For small textual file the "inline"
type is good because it can be seen and read without further action. An
example:

    http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3437#10

Inline MIME part is better than putting the content to the message body
because it is protected from possible word-wrapping of the editor or
mail client. Inline parts can be saved to disk too.

Real attachment is obviously better for binary files and large textual
files. It would waste too much space if a large textual attachment was
an "inline".

In my opinion mml-attach-file does not ask "annoying question". Other
than choosing the file user can just press Enter to all the questions.