Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 18:55:36 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> I would like to point to:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsXembed
>
> I have some screenshots there of my xembed patch for emacs that allows
> xembedding for instance a video player(mplayer in the screenshot) in emacs.
>
> I am currently making a small xembeddable wrapper on webkit that I will
> make some screenshots with to show Emacs embedding a browser.

That's excellent news.

On a technical note, I think it makes more sense to associate embedded
applications with Emacs windows, rather than buffers as you're
apparently trying to do.  Otherwise, we run into the problem of handling
the situation where the same buffer is displayed in more than one
window.  Basically, we should have a way to say "the contents of this
window are handled by an embedded program, rather than by Emacs".  WDYT?