Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 16:05:50 -0700 (PDT)

>> On a technical note, I think it makes more sense to associate embedded
>> applications with Emacs windows, rather than buffers as you're
>> apparently trying to do.  Otherwise, we run into the problem of
>> handling
>> the situation where the same buffer is displayed in more than one
>> window.  Basically, we should have a way to say "the contents of this
>> window are handled by an embedded program, rather than by Emacs".
>>  WDYT?
>
> You perhaps still need some buffer elements otherwise the embedded
> application would go away when you closed a window. That could maybe
> be ok, but it is not the way use to behave in Emacs.
>
> Other than that I think it is a good suggestion.

I would say that there should be an "embed object" (sort of like a process
object), and you can do

(set-window-embed window embed)

which fails if EMBED is already associated with some other window.  You
would of course have `window-embed' and `embed-window' which would tell
you that association, so that you could do (set-window-embed (embed-window
embed) nil) to detach it and move it around.

(One could also write it as `set-embed-window', which might make the
single-valuedness of the "embed's window" property clearer.  But I think
it's important to consider it a property of the window because it
overrides everything else that window could ever do.)

Davis

shipping.