Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 02:05:12 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden writes:
>
>> I would like to point to:
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsXembed>
>> I have some screenshots there of my xembed patch for emacs that allows
>> xembedding for instance a video player(mplayer in the screenshot) in emacs.
>>
>> I am currently making a small xembeddable wrapper on webkit that I will
>> make some screenshots with to show Emacs embedding a browser.
>
> That's excellent news.
>
> On a technical note, I think it makes more sense to associate embedded
> applications with Emacs windows, rather than buffers as you're
> apparently trying to do.  Otherwise, we run into the problem of handling
> the situation where the same buffer is displayed in more than one
> window.  Basically, we should have a way to say "the contents of this
> window are handled by an embedded program, rather than by Emacs".  WDYT?

One aproach does not exclude the other.

I modelled my xembed support on the way images are handled in Emacs.

The use-case im really trying to achieve is having any sort of gtk
controller embedded in a buffer. It kind of works already. Embedding an
xembeddable browser, was just a special case of embedding the gtk socket
component.

I want this so I can make guis for controlling multimedia stuff in a
hybrid emacs/traditional gui way.

Personally I dont think embedding a browser in emacs is the way to go
even though it makes for a fun demo. I think the emacs-w3m aproach is
better. I'm also interested in making a similar aproach that would use
mozilla-headless to render the web page in memory, and read the DOM
through something MozRepl like into Emacs buffers.

--
Joakim Verona