Re: set-fontset-font and preferred charset?

From: Yoshiaki Kasahara
Subject: Re: set-fontset-font and preferred charset?
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 11:40:41 +0900 (JST)

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:21:32 +0900,
        Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> said:

> In article <address@hidden>, Yoshiaki Kasahara <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Is there any workaround for the problem for now ? At least I want
>> MULTIPLICATION SIGN to be full width...
>
> Please try this.
>
> (if (display-graphic-p)
>     (set-fontset-font (face-attribute 'default :fontset)
>                     '(#x80 . #xFFFF) '(nil . "jisx0208.1983-0")
>                     nil 'append))

It fixed displaying characters with japanese-jisx0208 text-property.
Characters without such a text-property were still shown as half
width.  On the other hand, greek/cyrillic characters with proper
text-property were shown as full width...  Maybe I should wait until
the new font selection code is implemented.

For example, when I find a new text file and type "×", it is shown as
half width even if its file-coding-system is iso-2022-jp.  After save
the file and find it again, it is shown as full width.  But when I
input an additional "×" using "japanese" input method (using C-\), it
is shown as half width until I finalize the character.  Also a
character inserted at the very beginning of the buffer won't receive a
japanese-jisx0208 text-property and becomes half width.

My preference is "full width as a default" even when there is no
text-property such as in *scratch* and a mini-buffer (because I'm a
Japapanese using Japanese input method).  Maybe it causes some
(unicode?) text mistakenly shown as full width, but I can torelate
it...

Even when there is no text-property, C-u C-x = seems to shows correct
"preferred charset" in many cases.  I'm wondering what is the meaning
and purpose of preferred charset, how it is decided, and why it is not
matched with the font registry.  As discussed in another thread,
fontsets/charsets are pretty difficult to understand for me...

Regards,
--
Yoshiaki Kasahara
Research Institute for Information Technology, Kyushu University