Re: Willing to debug bug #3542 (23.0.94; File access via UNC path slow

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Willing to debug bug #3542 (23.0.94; File access via UNC path slow again under Windows)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:53:17 +0200

>>>  . Does it help to set w32-get-true-file-attributes to nil?
>>>

>> Woooo! Um, yes... It helped all right. From 85 (first try) and 115
>> (second try as per reuest above), down to 1,4 s. Shall we call that as
>> success? :)
>>

> Did you have it set to t in your .emacs, or does the default of 'local not
> work for you?

I did not have it set so it had the value 'local before I changed it
to nil now. I googled for the variable now and saw this:

"If the variable w32-get-true-file-attributes is non-nil (the
default), Emacs tries to determine the accurate link counts for files.
This option is only useful on NTFS volumes, and it *considerably slows
down Dired and other features*, so use it only on fast machines."

Hmm... There is a suggestion to use it only on fast machines at the
same time it is turned on by default. Shouldn't it be the other way
around? Btw, I consider my machine to be quite fast even though it is
a couple of years old.

I suggest we change the default value of this variable to nil (or make
the code faster).

/Mathias