Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 19:39:00 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden writes:
>
>>> It's not that difficult to handle, you just need to take snapshots of
>>> the application's display now and then.  The active window contains
>>> the real application, and any other windows can contain a snapshot of
>>> the display of that program.
>>
>> This is basically what I'm aiming for with my xwidget patch. The active
>> window contains the live component, the other windows contain inactive
>> snapshots of the components(currently only grey rectangles in the
>> inactive windows).
>
> Is this "snapshot" handled automatically by X (e.g., as an XEmbed
> feature), or is it something that would have to be done "by hand",
> e.g. by copying one X bitmap buffer into another?  If the latter,
> doesn't that mean that clicking on a button in the "copied" application
> wouldn't do anything?

The copying needs to be done manualy yes. However, the xembedded
component is moved to the active window. When clicking on a component in
a non-active window, that window becomes active, so the component is
moved there, and the previously active window gets a copied
component(grey rectangle) instead.

--
Joakim Verona