Re: Willing to debug bug #3542 (23.0.94; File access via UNC path slow a

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Willing to debug bug #3542 (23.0.94; File access via UNC path slow again under Windows)
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:59:30 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Cc: "'Mathias Dahl'" <address@hidden>,
>         "'Eli Zaretskii'" <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:03:42 -0700
>
> > > Dumb question: Is there a way for Emacs to know whether the
> > > format is NTFS or FAT(32)? If so, then Emacs could use nil
> > > for FAT volumes.
> >
> > That suggestion dates back to the days when "fast machines"
> > were running at 200MHz or so. The problem here is not the
> > speed of the machine, but the network.  The default value of
> > w32-get-true-file-attributes is 'local, which means nil when
> > going across the network, but apparently that is not being
> > recognized in all places - which I think is what Eli
> > is investigating.
>
> I see (I think). I thought that the doc was saying that it should be non-nil
> only for NTFS, which should be independent of whether the file system is local
> or over a network.

Network drives can be NTFS volumes as well, and usually are if the
server is a Windows machine.  But accessing all of the features we now
support in file-attributes on Windows can be slow over the network,
especially if the network is busy.

I made the doc string less categorical, thanks for pointing that out.