Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 18:19:01 -0400

    On a technical note, I think it makes more sense to associate embedded
    applications with Emacs windows, rather than buffers as you're
    apparently trying to do.  Otherwise, we run into the problem of handling
    the situation where the same buffer is displayed in more than one
    window.  Basically, we should have a way to say "the contents of this
    window are handled by an embedded program, rather than by Emacs".

I see what you mean.  In a way, that would be more logical.

But it is hard to fit that into the rest of the way Emacs handles
windows: as spaces within a frame, whose contents are controlled by
the buffer specified for display in the window.  To control a window's
contents in some other way would require a conceptual redesign.

It might be much simpler to avoid that redesign and instead represent
the embedded whatever through a buffer that has a name and can be
displayed in a window.  In addition, this would give a way to ask to
show it, or to replace it with something else: all the usual commands
for switching buffers.