Re: Sending attachments

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 19:55:07 +0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Anything more complex than that is really going to resemble existing
code in mml and elsewhere, and is not worth another from-scratch
effort, IMO.

Even the simple case involves a lot of code in the background to encode and provide the correct headers, so it is not worth another from-scratch effort. My suggestion was intended to be about putting a simple interface in front of mml, since the main objection to using that for mail-mode seems to be that the interface is too complex, and if we can overcome that, we can avoid adding yet another mime library into Emacs.

The other things to address are hiding the mml code it inserts (I'd suggest a file icon image for graphical displays, or buttonized [Attached File] for text mode, but RMS has expressed a preference for seeing the actual base64 or quoted-printable content that would be sent, so another option is to immediately call the function that transforms mml to actual mime instead of calling it in the send hook).