Re: line-move-visual

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:07:01 +0100

Lennart,

That was quick!   I think a library like that would do a lot, since
you could create custom customization buffers for all the purposes we
have discussed.  I like it.  Of course for a new user, the
customization buffer itself is quite 'busy', but that's not a problem
we can do anything about at the moment.  And the sooner they warm up
to it, probably the better for them, since it's one of the better
forms we have of interface discoverability at the moment.

I tried adding new variables to customize, which seems to work. I
assume it's possible to add documentation by adding  it between the
commands.  And typical lisp logic to only present some options if
we're on a certain OS, or have a certain package loaded.

This is really nice, Lennart.   I assume it's far too late to include
something like this in v. 23.1, but I could imagine various
'customization groups' making it into a future version.  If I manage
to produce an Emacs 'customization package for writers.'  I will most
certainly use this (especially if line-move-visual gets set to nil!)
.
So aside from the ongoing need to pick good defaults, how well does
something like this address the discoverability issue?  What do the
rest of you think?

Scot