Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 12:39:29 -0400

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Surely .dir-locals.el should, in some fashion, supply defaults which may
> be overridden by mode hooks and the like.  It is almost, but not quite,
> entirely unlike file local settings, a rarely used precision instrument.

I'm not sure I understand.  Directory-local variables are processed
right before file-local variables, and can be overridden by them.  See
`hack-local-variables'---the code merely adds extra variables to the
file-local-variables-alist, defined in .dir-locals.el files, before
Emacs adds those defined in the visited file itself.  The local
variables are then processed in order, wrapped by
before/after-hack-local-variables-hook.

Could you try to dig deeper and figure out the problem?