Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:02:55 +0900

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
> Why on earch does .dir-locals.el take precedence over values set in a
> top-level `setq' or `c-mode-hook'?  This is surely the Wrong Thing to
> do.  Jan hat set his own desired value of c-cleanup-list (as a top-level
> command), only to have it obliterated by this line:
..
> Yes, we both agree on what is happening.  My point is that the contents
> of .dir-locals.el should not override explicit values given by the user
> in his .emacs.

That seems quite arguable... most hook settings are probably intended
for the average case, and are done unconditionally.  For something like
C indentation settings, probably .dir-locals.el _should_ override the
hook, as those settings are more specific than the hook settings.

There are probably other examples where the opposite order seems better,
but I dunno...

-Miles

--
Dictionary, n.  A malevolent literary device for cramping the growth of
a language and making it hard and inelastic. This dictionary, however,