Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 05:26:59 -0400

On Jul 13, 2009, at 04:25, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
It also seems downright bizarre to tell people not to set c-file- style
in .dir-settings.el

c-file-style is documented as being for use only in file local variables.

Was that documentation written before or after the introduction of per- directory local variables? My guess is before, and it should be updated to make this permissible as well.

-- my sense is that most developers would agree that if a project has C
style conventions, they should override the user's personal
preferences...

Hmmm. I think most hackers would agree they should be able to override
project defaults in their Emacs sessions.

Sure, and file defaults too.

 How do you override a setting
which is in dir-locals.el?

(setq enable-local-variables nil)

Now, if you want to override dir-locals.el but *not* override file local variables, that looks a bit trickier. But if you look at the former as just a project-wide version of the latter, I don't see the need.

Ken