Re: Sending attachments

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:11:04 -0400

>    So I think the first step should be to change mail-user-agent to
>    default to message-user-agent.  The next step will then be to make
>    Rmail use message-mode as well (which may require some changes to
>    message-mode, of course).

> PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!  People using mail-mode have already expressed
> that they prefer it over message-mode,

Most of the people who use mail-mode have not expressed any opinion.
The vast majority of them have no idea they're using mail-mode and that
they have a choice to use something else.

> please respect that!

The very few users who have expressed a preference for mail-mode have
not given any concrete argument for why.  Some developers/maintainers of
mail-mode have expressed their preference for it, indeed, but that's
a different issue.

        Stefan

PS: And to reply to Lennart, when I say "obsolete" that means I have the
intention to get rid of the corresponding code as well, tho as we know
such things take time, and even more so in cases like this one where the
maintainers are emotionally atached to their code and happen to be some
of the most important Emacs developers.