Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:32:42 -0400

>> In particular, the File Style and local variables settings are rarely
>> used precision instruments, for configuring unusual files unusually.
> This indicates that we should not set c-file-style in the .dir-locals.el
> file of the Emacs source tree.

Actually, I wonder: why would it be correct to use another style than GNU
for C files inside the Emacs source tree?

I don't think it's a feature that dir-locals.el takes precedence over
mode-hooks (it's more of an accident that we consider sufficiently
harmless not to fix it, especially since a fix would probably be
difficult/inconvenient/buggy), but in this case it seems to provide just
the behavior we want.  I mean we do want to "impose" the GNU style in
our files, no matter what the user usually prefers.

What am I missing?

        Stefan