Re: C-x C-v considered harmful

From: Bob Rogers
Subject: Re: C-x C-v considered harmful
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:45:27 -0400

   From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
   Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 06:06:40 -0400

   >    I've just made C-x C-v obey confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer (as they
   >    should have from the beginning) which should fix the OP's problem.

   > I'm sorry, but you seem to have misunderstood:  My problem with C-x C-v
   > is its behavior in killing buffers, not in how it finds files.  (That is
   > why I did not respond to your earlier post; as one who has never
   > *deliberately* invoked C-x C-v, I have no opinion.)

   But it does fix the OP's particular case because the RET would have
   asked to "[Confirm]" since here was no "d" file (or directory).

           Stefan

This did not occur to me.  But I notice that typing "C-x C-v d RET"
fails to require a "[Confirm]" if the value of
confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer is after-completion.  Since this is
the default, that is no help for those who have not yet been bitten by
this problem.  (It would in fact have helped me, as the OP, because I do
set confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer to t, but I have been flogging
this thread in the hope of making Emacs friendlier by default.)

   It is also unlikely to help if you had meant to type "C-x C-f"
instead of "C-x C-v"; both commands behave the same, regardless of the
confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer setting, up until the point the
previous buffer is killed.

   And it doesn't help at all with the fact that even "C-x k" is skimpy
in the warning department.  Are you rejecting Drew's argument that it is
really kill-buffer that needs attention (at least when invoked
interactively)?

                                        -- Bob