Re: Parsing of fontconfig font names and other font related stuff.

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Parsing of fontconfig font names and other font related stuff.
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:55:25 +0200

Jan Djärv skrev:
Yavor Doganov skrev:
Jan Djärv wrote:
I'm in the process of getting Emacs to use GConf defaults for font, antialiasing, hints and dpi.

Are you sure this is a good idea?  AFAIK there are plans to deprecate
GConf for GNOME 3.0 next year, and replace it with dconf/GSettings.
The precise plan is not clear yet, I think.

Well, if it isn't clear, we must work with what we have :-)
Yes I think it is a good idea. As I said in my reply to Handa-san, the dpi values used by Emacs and other Gnome applications doesn't match, so Emacs looks different even if it uses the same font.

It would also be nice to have Emacs use the same hinting and antialiasing as other applications. We get a free GUI for setting these things (Gnome desktop preferences). It is somewhat cumbersome to set these in Emacs now.

It seems XSettings is much further along than I thought. So basically GConf is out and XSettings is in (well, working on it anyway).

        Jan D.