Re: Sending attachments

From: Jonathan Rockway
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:17:33 -0500

* On Tue, Jul 14 2009, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Another problem with Gnus maintenance is that, whenever they see the
> need for some other feature, they add it to Gnus, without discussing
> it with the Emacs maintainer, and without attempting to make the
> package independent of Gnus.

I think they want something that works first.  Once the code works, it
can be refactored to be generic.

Some people don't want to discuss every minute detail of the code before
they implement it.  The bike shed can be painted after it's built.

(Look at how long this thread is.  Did all this discussion actually
accomplish anything, or was it mostly a waste of time?)

Anyway, I think the solution is to cleanup the Gnus code as needed
rather than completely rewrite it from scratch and call it something
else.  I can't speak for the Gnus developers, but I'm sure they would
appreciate the help.  The point of free software is that the users can
improve the code; so that it works better, or so that it can be used
somewhere else more generically.  Right?

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway