Re: Sending attachments

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 21:10:58 -0400

     > There are two reasons.  First, its primary source is maintained
     > outside of Emacs.

    I don't see how that's a reason not to use the perfectly good Message
    mode that is a part of Emacs.

Someone asked me why I see this as a problem, and I explained why.
You may not see it as a problem, but the point is that I do.

    It seems to me that both Gnus and Emacs would benefit from you
    pow-wowing with Miles Bader and anybody else who works on Gnus-Emacs
    integration, and make the points about refactoring and maintainability
    to them.

I would like to see progress in this direction, and I am willing to do
a certain amount of work to help it.  However, at present I have
nothing to specific suggest, because I know very little about the code
of Gnus.  Its complexity has discouraged me from looking at it except
in cases of need.

On a few occasions I have looked at part of Gnus.  Each time what I
encountered was daunting complexity, each part interacting with many
other parts.  I tried my best to reduce the amount of code I had to
look at.

I don't know how many other parts of Gnus are comparable to rfc2047.el
in that they are useful general facilities and ought to be made
separate and modular.  If Gnus developers are interested in doing work
to make these files modular, I'm interested in looking for candidates.