Re: Should not syntax for ?- char be word in text mode?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Should not syntax for ?- char be word in text mode?
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:53:40 +0900

>  > There are plenty of word with a hyphen in them.
>
> python-mode does (or used to do) this with underscore (hyphen of
> course denotes an operator in Python).  It got a *lot* of pushback.

It seems that many mode authors who don't know any better do that (make
things like "_" have word syntax) because it makes writing font-lock
regexps easier.  It's still a horrible idea of course.

[Lua-mode does this as well; it drives me _nuts_...]

Now that we have ?_< and ?_> regexp patterns, there's no technical
reason any more I think...

-miles

--
Defenceless, adj. Unable to attack.