Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:44:02 -0700

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 00:54 +0200, Lennart Borgman wrote:

> I am unable to understand the "four framelettes". Why not just let any
> window be a framelette if desired?

I can't imagine a clean way for that to work
for two reasons.   First, it would allow unbounded
nesting of framelettes.  Second, I don't know about
you but I can't think of any semantics for window
configurations that would make that work nicely.

That being said, I'll observe that "any window a
framelette" is easily construed as a generalization
of "four fixed framelettes in the customary toolbar
and panel positions" and so it is not so absurd to think
of starting with the conceptually simpler "four framelettes"
idea and generalizing later if clear answers appear
for unbounded nesting and window configuration semantics.

-t