Re: GTK tool bar icons in Emacs

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: GTK tool bar icons in Emacs
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:04:52 +1200

Jan Djärv writes:

 > Nick Roberts skrev:
 > > I would like to use the GTK record/stop icons in Emacs.  In GTK Emacs, at
 > > times, the custom icons appear somehow to be replaced by GTK ones.  Could
 > > someone please explain how this works in basic terms.
 >
 > Can you narrow down what you did when the icons where replaced?  Note that
 > many major modes replaces the tool bar, maybe you stubled upon that?

I noticed that, for example the the button gud-goto-info used a gtk icon
("gtk-info") even though the "info" icon was specified in gud.el.  It's
not a problem, I just wanted to use new ones "gtk-media-record" and
"gtk-media-stop" for a new feature of GDB 7.0 (reversible debugging).

 > If you need to replace some standard icons, customizing x-gtk-stock-map
 > should
 > to the trick (apart from bugs of course).

Yes, following Yidong's suggestion, I've done that and it seems to work -
thanks.

 > > Also GTK apps, e.g., FireFox often allow names to appear in text below the
 > > icons.
 > > (View-> Toolbars-> Customize...).  Is it possible to do this in GTK Emacs?
 > >

 > The code is not hard to do, the problem is that for icons there doesn't
 > exist
 > any short name, only the help text is available.  The text used for the name
 > is ofthen too long (for example, "Visit new file..."), and the tool bar
 > becomes very wide.

It would be nice to make Emacs more of a GTK app (fonts don't appear to change
with System->Appearance->Fonts->Application font on Ubuntu) but since Emacs
must run on a wide range of platforms that might not be possible.