Re: Add file-locals and dir-locals

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Add file-locals and dir-locals
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:43:07 +0300

>> `add-file-local-variable' adds file-local variable with its value to the
>> Local Variables list.  `add-dir-local-variable' adds directory-local
>> variable with its value and mode to the .dir-locals.el file.  Based on
>> this implementation another commands could be added later that will
>> move file-local variables to .dir-locals.el and vice versa.
>
> Sometimes we also want to replace the old value of a local variable with
> a new one here.  So maybe functions like `set-file-local-variable' and
> `set-dir-local-variable' seem more appropriate.

Actually a function `add-file-local-variable' posted already replaces
the existing old value with a new one.  I think to have one function is
better than two (to add and to replace) because from the user's point of
view when the user wants to add a variable we should not require from
the user to check whether this variable already exists in the Local
Variables list.

Since `add-file-local-variable' does both "add" and "replace" operations
it makes sense to rename it to `set-file-local-variable'.  But isn't "set"
rather connotes with an operation that reads a variable's value and sets
it to the variable with setq?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/