Re: message-mode is now default?

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: message-mode is now default?
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:14:44 +0300

On 2009-07-17 09:01 (-0400), Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

> Things that have now become broken because of this unannounced change,
> and not fully thought through chance:
>
> - any and all hooks and variable that one uses for mail are not
>   working anymore, since message-mode is not compatible with
>   mail-mode. Causing massive breakage for anyone using mail-mode.
>
> - message-mode does not use sendmail-function, causing once again
>   breakage for anyone who wraps their mail around it.
>
> message-mode is NOT backwards compatible with mail-mode, please change
> it back to what it was. This is a huge change, and should be postponed
> for after the release, wit a proper discussion and poll.

That change is not in the branch that will become Emacs 23.1. So at
least to me it seems that it is "postponed" after the release of 23.1.

The "proper discussion" probably means this list's usual conservatism
but in any case, for such discussion and a poll, here's my vote:

    I support making message-mode the default.

(And I think Chong and Stefan are doing a great job.)