Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:41:03 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 4:44 AM, Thomas Lord<address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 04:24 +0200, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>>
>>> I was not thinking about directly implementing them in the primitives.
>>> Rather in the user commands.
>>
>> Bad choice of language on my part.  I did not
>> mean "primitives" as in "functions written in
>> C" (although I expect there will be some impact
>> at that level).  I meant something more like
>> "core" -- C prims plus the core lisp/*.el
>> files.   "The stuff that defines the basic
>> model of Emacs" -- primitive in that sense.
>
> Yes, I understood that. But because I believe it is more easy to
> implement it the general way (and long time wise possibly more useful)
> I said that the restrictions you want may be implemented at the user
> command level.

I'm not closely following this thread, but this discussion is similar to
the "window group" proposal. There is patches in the previous threads.

Basically window groups are groups of windows that behave somehwat like
the "framelettes" discussed here. Window operations that affect other
windows only affect the other windows in the same group as the current
window. So, delete-other-windows, for instance, only deletes the other
windows in the same group.

--
Joakim Verona