Re: select-active-regions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: select-active-regions
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 21:33:15 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:19:04 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > How about if you explain (in more detail than available in the current
> > documentation) what this feature is supposed to do, and which
> > use-cases it is supposed to support?  Maybe then I will be able to see
> > why my code in pc-win.el is wrong.
>
> In most applications on X, if you shift-select a stretch of text, that
> text is copied into PRIMARY, and you can paste it into other
> applications with a middle click.  That's what select-active-regions is
> supposed to do, except it covers all cases where the text is highlighted
> and not just shift selection (e.g., with transient mark mode enabled, if
> you do C-SPC and move the cursor to create an active region, the region
> should be available as PRIMARY).

That's what I thought it should do.

Now, why would it be wrong to translate this to mean that the
shift-selected stretch of text be copied to the Windows clipboard?

And why would it be TRT to translate this to the emulation of PRIMARY
we have on w32-fns.el?  The latter, AFAICS, only emulates PRIMARY for
Emacs itself, not for the other applications.

TIA