Re: select-active-regions

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: select-active-regions
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:37:15 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Now, why would it be wrong to translate this to mean that the
>> > shift-selected stretch of text be copied to the Windows clipboard?
>>
>> In Windows applications, shift-selecting a stretch of text does not copy
>> it to the clipboard.
>
> Some application do, and I like it.  PuTTY (the Windows SSH client) is
> one example.

That's surely wildly non-standard behavior.  My impression is that the
clipboard, on both X and Windows, is meant to have a certain amount of
"stability".  Text selection can occur very frequently---in Windows, for
instance, just left-clicking on the Firefox address bar selects the text
in the bar---and you don't want to clobber the clipboard for that.