Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 02:07:14 +0200

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Juri Linkov<address@hidden> wrote:
>>     A "windowgroup" is similar to an Emacs frame, inside another emacs
>>     frame. I like this better than using several Emacs frames.
>>
>> It might be a subtle question.  To think about it, I suggest looking
>> at by asking: What is the difference between a windowgroup and a
>> framelet?  Or what are the various differences?
>
> I guess the difference is in frame parameters.  If framelets are
> Emacs frames inside the main Emacs frame, then they should have
> their own menu bars, tool bars, tab bars.

Why should they need menu bars and tool bars etc? I think they would
be useful without it. We have mentioned some things:

- Windows inside forms a group.
- This group can be visually marked so a user quickly can grasp it.
- Some commands that we already have can work on windows in this
group, just as they today work on frames (nearly, of course).
- Frame commands could work on framelettes, just as...
- The concept could be made recursive (which might be usefull).

None of these requires menus or toolbars for the framelettes
themselves. (One can compare tool windows in other IDE:s. These may of
course also be implemented as "floating frames" on GUI platforms.)