Re: rfc2047.el dependencies on mm-util.el (was: Sending attachments)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: rfc2047.el dependencies on mm-util.el (was: Sending attachments)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 21:10:00 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 00:36:49 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> What I want to do is keep the two functions
> mm-find-mime-charset-region and mm-charset-to-coding-system (and their
> subroutines and data) together with rfc2047.el, making them too a
> regular part of Emacs.

Do we really need these two functions?  I think we have the necessary
infrastructure in Emacs:

  . find-charset-region

  . find-coding-systems-region

  . find-coding-systems-for-charsets

  . (coding-system-get FOO :mime-charset)

  . coding-system-list

  . sort-coding-systems

If these are not enough to write a much cleaner, leaner versions of
those two mm-utils functions, please tell what else is missing.