Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 21:31:21 +0300

>> Like most window managers Emacs should allow the user to create
>> persistent window configurations, specify window placement, group windows
>> to window layouts, easily change, save and restore window groups with
>> window parameters like dedicatedness.
>>
>> There are already a few packages that partially implement this like
>> winner.el (restores old window configurations), winring.el (named
>> window configuration rings), escreen.el (emacs window session manager),
>> gnus-win.el (window layouts in `gnus-buffer-configuration').
>
> IIUC most of these serve to save and restore earlier constructed window
> configurations, though not across sessions (which, I suppose, is what
> "persistent" stands for).

Yes, I meant to save window configurations across sessions in
~/.emacs.desktop.  There are corresponding tasks in etc/TODO:

** Make desktop.el save the "frame configuration" of Emacs (in some
  useful sense).

** Give desktop.el a feature to switch between different named
  desktops.

> But wouldn't ECB implement all the missing parts?  ISTR that ECB comes
> with some predefined configurations which is probably the most
> important part for beginners.

ECB layout definitions are powerful but rely on `defadvice' and
IMO they are over-complicated.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/