Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:05:50 -0700

On Sun, 2009-07-19 at 14:21 +0100, Leo wrote:

> >> GIMP has the *worst* GUI.

> > Because GIMP tried to mimic Photoshop GUI.

> However, Photoshop has learnt its deficiency and evolved into a much
> better one while GIMP has stuck to it.

I wonder about this sentiment.   Perhaps it
is just my twisted mind but I kind of like the
Gimp UI system.   It could (will?) benefit from
incremental spit and polish for years to come
but the basic idea seems sound.

Regardless, though, if it's easier we could
talk about the examples of OpenOffice and
Eclipse, if those are less controversial.

Informally speaking, I'm looking forward to
an Emacs with some way to have "control panel
thingies" and tear-offs because I think that
once we have that, soon after, (a) I won't have
to use OpenOffice writer any more;  (b) the
program I use instead will have things like C-x 2
and C-x b in the main edit area (plus all the other
lovely, logical orderliness of the Emacs command
set and command loop.

This (one way or another) is going to be awesome
and I tip my hat to the more active Emacs developers
today for their work towards it.

-t