Re: 16 (Re: Infrastructural complexity.)

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: 16 (Re: Infrastructural complexity.)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 08:47:10 +0200

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Thomas Lord<address@hidden> wrote:

> _______
> |_____|    NNSS  0
> |_|_|_|
> |_____|
>

> _______
> |_____|    NNSs  1
> |_|_| |
> |___|_|

Thanks, that made it easier to think about it.

It looks like a good approximation for text terminals and the current
Emacs GUI where we do not have floating child frames. (In OS level
terms it is child windows, of course). And it looks like an idea to
level ECB things to a more general level.

Is your goal making this a user-level changeable layout framework
(within these 16 layouts)? Logically it seems pretty easy with
functions like:

- left-panel-enlarge-upwards
- left-panel-enlarge-downwards
etc.

- hide-left-panel
- show-left-panel
etc.

- (swap-panels 'left 'top)

This seems to be easy to implement on the elisp level, but I do not
know how easy it is for a user to grasp the idea.