Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 23:18:23 +0900

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:
> A point of my proposal was to the keep the "auxiliary thingies inside a
> single frame" and to change the C code.  OTOH I believe that
> implementing framelets via separate frames would still give Emacs "some
> hope of keeping control over their placement" (just as Emacs is able to
> control placement of the Speedbar).

Emacs is miserable at  controlling placement of the speedbar.

Once you start letting the WM have any control all bets are off --
remember, it's _not_ just initial placement, but movement, sizing
[think: tiling WM!], additional WM-added frames, dealing with the many,
many, differences between WMs on different platforms, etc.

This approach seems a complete non-starter to me, unless we have control
over the WM as well (and we don't)...

-Miles

--
Consult, v.i. To seek another's disapproval of a course already decided on.