Why Emacs should have a good web-browser

From: T.V. Raman
Subject: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:36:14 -0700

Note that emacspeak does integrate with firefox via mozrepl ---
Google for "firebox" --- code is in emacspeak-moz.el.

That code needs some updating to make keyboard input work with
Firefox 3 --- things changed on the firefox side post FF2, and
I've not had the chance to finish the work.

But roughly, here is how it works:

0. I start Firefox with mozrepl enabled --- in my case I tell FF
to use an Xvfb created framebuffer --- but that's just an aside,
since I dont start Gnome or any other graphical desktop --- my
desktop is Emacs.

1. From emacs, I open a repl interaction handle via which I can
send forms to FF  for evaluation.

2. On the FF side, I load in a JS  library I wrote called adom.js
http://emacspeak.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/js/

that defines a set of helper functions in JS  -- facilitate
receiving HTML in emacs back from Firefox.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Title:  Research Scientist
Email:  address@hidden
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
Google: tv+raman
GTalk:  address@hidden, address@hidden

3. Finally, I define a special Mozilla interaction mode where I
can send js commands to FF  from Emacs, and the response back as
HTML  --- I then hand off this HTML  to either W3 or W3M  for
processing.

All this works upto a point --- except that at present keyboard
input to FF from the emacs side is broken.

In effect, the above turns FF  into a DOM-server for Emacs.