Re: Menu commands to M-x history?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Menu commands to M-x history?
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:43:21 -0400

    > Menu commands are all commands that can be started from M-x.  I think
    > they should be added to M-x history.

    This seems like a good idea. Whether a command is run with M-x, a menu
    item, or a button, the semantics should be identical.

The only "M-x history" in Emacs is the history list used for reading
the argument of M-x.  That should only be used for arguments that you
enter in the M-x command.

Keyboard keys also run commands that you could run with M-x, but
putting their names in the M-x history list would not be consistent or
useful.  It is the same for menu-run commands.

There is also command-history, which gets all commands
that read an argument from the terminal, whether or not they
were run from a menu.