Re: help-window-select and info-lookup-symbol

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: help-window-select and info-lookup-symbol
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:11:39 +0200

> Hmm.. no it wouldn't.  I wouldn't call that failing though.  One could
> also argue that if the user switches to B and back that's a temporary
> excursion and should have no permanent effect.  Right or Wrong depends
> on the users expectations.  If the window was freshly created by
> slime-display-popup-buffer the user might well expect that pressing q
> will close it.  OTOH, some users have strange expectations; they expect
> the exact opposite from what I would :-)

The scenario I had in mind was that (1) `display-buffer' reuses a window
as a help-window (2) in that window the user manually switches to a
buffer via `switch-to-buffer' and (3) `display-buffer' again reuses that
window as a help-window.  Typing `q' in that window now will restore the
buffer shown before (1) and not the buffer shown by (2).  In this scenario
the `switch-to-buffer' hardly counts as a "temporary excursion".

martin